Saturday, January 12, 2013

how can i install itunes on my linux laptop?

Q. i have a linux laptop and i want to put itunes on it i have tried downloading it but when ever i click on it the internet comes up with lots of taps any help?

A. Take a look at these open source options

Rhythmbox
http://projects.gnome.org/rhythmbox/

gtkpod (good for syncing)
http://www.gtkpod.org/about.html

Songbird
http://www.getsongbird.com/

aTunes
http://www.atunes.org/


LUg.

How do I swith operating systems on my laptop?
Q. My friend gave me an Ubuntu/Linux laptop but on the side of it it says Windows Vista. Does that mean It used to be Windows and if so how can I change it back. Please help, I really hate using Linux, it's a piece of trash.

A. Linux is great if you know what you are doing, and it isn't hard to figure out. If you must, though, then there are two possibilities for getting Windows back on it.

1. Ask if it is dual partitioned. If it is, then when you turn it on, when it is still in the BIOS it will give you an option briefly for which system to load. Select Windows and you will load up no problem.

2. If it not dual partitioned you will have to use a Windows OS disk. Those can be about $100+ unless your friend has one.

If you don't like Ubuntu you can try Linux Mint or some other nice operating system for free. Different versions of Linux run different and you might like another version better. You could also Google "free non linux OS" or something of the sort.


If you post your main problem with Ubuntu under additional details, I will recommend something further.

Networking - Ubnuntu Linux. Trying to connect another computer to my Linux to use its internet connection?
Q. I am trying to connect another laptop to my linux laptop while its connected to the internet. I want to make a network on my Ubuntu Linux laptop. How?

A. I'm assuming your laptop with the Internet connection is connected with WiFi and the other laptop is hardwired to it with ethernet. You didn't specify a network setup, so this could be totally wrong.

You need to set up NAT on the computer with the Internet connection. Once you have that set up, you should configure the two ethernet interfaces (one on each laptop, they're connected to each other w/ a crossover cable) with IP addresses from a private IP range. You could use something such as 172.16.1.1 (laptop w/ Internet) and 172.16.1.2 (laptop w/o Internet). Then on the laptop w/o Internet, specify it's default gateway as 172.16.1.1.

Don't forget to turn on packet forwarding, this is a common problem that people have and can't seem to figure out:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

This howto explains the process.

http://www.howtoforge.com/nat_iptables




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment