Sunday, January 6, 2013

Best value server hardware for medium scale website running on Linux?

Q. What do you suggest? Dell, HP, IBM, Sun... it is my knowledge that IBM provides the best server running on linux?

Or is it the best idea to buy used hardware equipments?

Or what about building a few boxes from scratch?

This website will run on Linux and will run a medium scale dynamic website with server-side language.

thanks experts @ Y! Answers!

A. All of those vendors listed sell servers with Linux preinstalled, that almost guarantees Linux compatibility. There are a couple of rare exceptions, it's possible that a component could have a "binary only" driver that only works with the distro and version preinstalled.

I don't know how to make a specific recommendation, knowing nothing about your budget, traffic, web apps, or your organization's support staff.
I'm pretty sure just a new budget range desktop would have enough power for LAMP web server with thousands of hits per day.

I work for a medium size company, and our web servers run on custom built computers, but our staff is familiar with building computers and we have a good idea what components work well with Linux. We like to build our own because we can control what components go into the machines, and can build very reliable machines.
So much hardware works for Linux, it is easier to find out what doesn't work. Here is a good site for that: http://leenooks.com/

How To Set Up A Linux Home Media Server?
Q. I have a P4 2.2ghz PC with a 300gb HD, and I want to install a distro of Linux that I can have connect to my home network so that I can have all my pictures and music on one computer, but be able to access them on my four Windows XP systems. I have very little previous experience with Linux. My network is wireless, but this computer will be wired to the router directly. I would like to have full access to these files, not just streaming capabilities, similar to the way you can share folders on the Windows Network.

A. Most linux distros include the samba/smb server, which is what windows networking/file sharing is.

Below is a couple guides on doing this.

DLNA Media Server for Ubuntu/Linux Mint?
Q. I currently stream my videos from my Windows 7 computer to my Xbox 360 via TVersity. But I have a laptop running Linux Mint (fantastic Ubuntu variant) that I'd also like to stream media from. Is there any DLNA compatible media streamers for Linux that I can use? Preferably something that loads up in the background on startup so I don't have to manually start it whenever I want stream something.

A. I've had ushare working well streaming to a 360 before, which needs a small amount of configuration and will then start at system boot. But having a look on my current Ubuntu 10.04 machine, it seems to have something called Rygel, which is a GNOME interface to upnp/dlna. Looks interesting.

Oh, it's worth keeping in mind that streaming apps that start at boot can be a risk on laptops. It's a little too easy to forget that they're there when you connect your laptop to another network. Anybody on that network can then stream stuff from you, and having services open at all just makes you more vulnerable to attacks.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment