Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Am I risking lossing my operating system by booting my laptop with a linux live cd?

Q. I have windows 7 on my laptop and it wont really start up, so im going to recover my data from it by using a linux live cd to boot it up. Is there any risk that ill lose my windows 7 in the process?

A. a linux live cd wont remove your windows 7 operating system.the guy who said it would doesn't know what hes talking about.when you restart your computer and eject the cd nothing was changed as far as windows 7 still being your os.the only way a linux live cd removes windows is if you are trying to actually install linux .then of course it would remove windows and install linux.but just running a linux live cd wont damage anything.that first poster is a noob.

Am I risking lossing my operating system by booting my laptop with a linux live cd?
Q. I have windows 7 on my laptop and it wont really start up, so im going to recover my data from it by using a linux live cd to boot it up. Is there any risk that ill lose my windows 7 in the process?

A. No.

Windows 7 uses NTFS file system, so a decent linux live CD should be able to read them, but not write to them. i.e, You can read the files, but you can't alter them in any way, ergo you can't really stuff them up unless you reformat.

If I boot my computer from a linux live cd, how can I access the computer hdd to recover data?
Q. My computer quit, but before I reset the system, I need to get pictures, documents, and other data from it. I can boot up with a Linux Live CD, but am having trouble accessing the HDD. Any Ideas?

A. I am assuming when you say "access the HDD" you mean the files created under Windows?

If so, you can still get to them: remove the CD and it will boot up in Windows; then put the files you need on a flash drive, CD or external HDD.

Then reinsert the linux CD, boot up linux, and retrieve the files from the flash drive, etc.

PS, if you're using ubuntu, some great sites for questions/support are:
- http://ubuntuforums.org/
- http://www.ubuntu.com/support
-



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment