Saturday, January 19, 2013

Am I risking lossing my operating system by booting my laptop with a linux live cd?

Q. I have windows 7 on my laptop and it wont really start up, so im going to recover my data from it by using a linux live cd to boot it up. Is there any risk that ill lose my windows 7 in the process?

A. No. Booting Linux from a CD won't harm your windows (unless you deliberately format your hard drive and install Linux from the CD). It's a good way to recover your data, but you'll still have to fix or re-install Windows.

Can you use PHP and Mysql with a Linux Live CD?
Q. If you come back to Windows will all your PHP & Mysql settings gone? Do you have to reinstall everything again if you decide to use a second time the Linux Live CD?? I don't want to install Linux permanently o0n my sustem but I would like to work with the Lice CD without losing my work & setings. Is it possible?

A. Linux LiveCD's are run within the RAM of your PC so you cannot save you settings between LIVE sessions.

One possibility is having Ubuntu installed on a USB Pendrive


Ubuntu Live USB Pendrive Persistent
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

LUg.

If my computer wont boot a linux live cd, does that mean it wont but a xp cd either?
Q. the laptop is set to boot from cd first. the linux live cd used to work but it has stopped working, does this mean this particular function wont work for other live cd's?

A. There are a lot of things that can cause a failure to boot so it depends on how far along in the process you are getting and what is causing the failure to boot. I've used knoppix as a boot cd for testing and diagnostics on hundreds of machines and it has booted on nearly every machine I've tried it on. The only failures to boot were due to not having enough ram in the computer to load the OS into memory.

However if your computer BIOS does not recognize the concept of bootable cd's then that computer won't boot from any cd. If that is the case then you might be able to add that capability with a bios upgrade.

It's also possible that the bios configuration excludes the CD from the systems search for bootable media. You may need to modify the bios to move the CD up in the boot order or use the "boot menu" (usually accessed by hitting f12 during post)

edited -- another possibility is that you have a CD drive which is not able to read a DVD. The DVD may be bootable but it can't be read by a cd drive.

Now you rule out most of these possibilities since you state that it used to work. That suggests to me that the disk has been damaged, (scratched?). The only other likely cause would be that the CD drive itself is dirty or damaged which might prevent it from reading the disk.

Have you tried other boot disks?



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment