Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Is software I write for one Linux distribution compatible for all Linux distributions?

Q. I'm thinking about writing some stuff for an easy to get distro like Ubuntu, then trying it on an embedded Linux platform with an ARM processor.

Will I have issues porting it over?

I'm not a computer newb entirely, but I am a Linux newb for the most part.

A. Probably... Everything in linux is built from packets (As you probably know by now) - you want to make sure you know which packets you need... My APGUI project needs GTK, Python, Pygtk and APG before it will run...

If your app is entirely self-contained... Gratz, you are one of the only 5 people who write apps that way :)

How can I get an introduction as to how Linux is used in Embedded Applications?
Q. I wish to have a dive (not swim very deep though) into Embedded Linux.
Are there any good resources on the internet that you would like to recommend?
Please note that I know the C language inside out and have also done micro-controllers programming even though it was without any RTOS.

A. See the guide here: http://www.scratchbox.org/documentation/general/tutorials/introduction.html

How do I install python libraries?
Q. I have an embedded Linux device that is running an embedded version of python for it. The scripts I'm trying to run work great on my computer but wont run on the embedded Linux device. I looked into the matter further and found that two modules I am using, threading and signal, are not included in the embedded version of python. They are (I think) part of the standard python library. How can I get these modules and install them separately. I don't think I can put the standard python onto my embedded Linux device.

A. The module threading is a module located in the Lib directory (standard installation). You could try to place this file in corresponding location on your device. Signal is a built-in module. I suspect its platform-dependent and maybe not (yet?) implemented for your device. If your platform is windows CE for example, signal is not implement in the win CE version of python



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment