Wednesday, February 20, 2013

How do I maintain my privacy on a Shared Network? I use Linux/Fedora.?

Q. I use someone's network in my home (roomate's) and my system is Linux/Fedora. How do I make sure that someone cannot look and see what sites i'm visiting, my passwords etc? A step by step would help.

A. First, always use secure http for web sites that have accounts (username/password). Your password will be encrypted (usually via openssl). So no one snooping your local home network can see any login passwords. Likewise, always use secure shell (ssh) for shell logins. Same reason.

The IP addresses of the sites you are visiting, however, will be available to anyone snooping your network connection. You might be able to hide those through a proxy service, but unless they encrypt the target IP address (or URL) you can still be tracked by your room mate.

Look into "Tor", for example.

How to setup in linux fedora?
Q. I have just installed linux fedora and im trying to print something but cant.My printer is a Canon M240 and when i hook it up to fedora it say no printer drivers for this printer is there anyway to get the drivers

A. i am sure someone in some linux forums will have a compatible driver available.
that being said.... linux like ANY other os will require proper configuration before it utilizes the true benifits of a linux system and become secure

can i install ubunto over the previously installed windows 7 and fedora, and is it safe to do that?
Q. i installed windows 7 and then installed Linux fedora. and they are running cool. now i want to install Ubuntu. so can i install Ubuntu over the Linux fedora??
and is it safe to do this, thanks in advance to you guys :)

A. Yes, whenever you choose the type of installation, select run both systems and thats it



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment