Friday, February 22, 2013

How do I install Ubuntu Linux to my PC when I have two Hard Drives and don't need to partition?

Q. I've been looking at the Ubuntu Linux site for a while, they tell you how to partition a drive, but not how to set it up for two HD's with a choice of which to boot on startup.

I know I could have the BIOS always pop up on powerup, but is there an easier way?

A. It still need to partition the drive used for Ubuntu.
Actually if you have something on the other drive like Windows, the Ubuntu will put it in the Grub boot Menu. I have XP on one drive and Ubuntu on the other on one of my computers. One word of advise, Windows doesn't play well with others, it will overwrite Grub on other drive without a second thought. So if you reinstall/install Windows unplug the Ubuntu drive during install. If your starting out from scratch install Windows first then Ubuntu, it will save the step of editing /etc/grub/menu.lst to add Windows boot item.

How can I recover deleted pictures and videos from Ubuntu/Linux if I update my computer to Windows 7?
Q. I had Ubuntu/Linux program and change from Ubuntu to Windows, but i didn't save the files, and i want to recover the videos and pictures i had in Linux, how can i recover those files if now i have Windows (i still have the same computer)??????

A. Try PhotoRec of the eight listed freeware solutions in the following link (PhotoRec works in Ubuntu, Windows, Mac, ot just about any other OS):
http://camerarepair.blogspot.com/2007/12/recovering-those-accidentally-lost.html

And PhotoRec is NOT a trojan. Either use the above page to find it, or just google the name PhotoRec to find much more info, and reviews, on it.

How do I install Ubuntu Linux on a PC without removing the Windows OS?
Q. I have a laptop with Windows XP on it. My friend has Ubuntu Linux on his laptop and I really like it. How can I install Ubuntu Linux on my laptop, without removing the Windows XP OS? (I want to have them both)

A. Installing Ubuntu as a dual-boot with Windows without partitioning
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/wubi

With Windows 7 you need to run the installer in vista compatability mode

You keep Windows as it is, Wubi only adds an extra option to boot into Ubuntu. Wubi does not require you to modify the partitions of your PC, or to use a different bootloader, and does not install special drivers. It works just like any other application.

Wubi keeps most of the files in one folder, and if you do not like it, you can simply uninstall it as any other application.

Boot in to windows insert the Ubuntu 9.10 LiveCD and you will offered the option of installing inside windows which is where the Wubi installer comes in, you will be asked how many gigabytes you wish to allocate to Ubuntu (I recommend 8gb) then you set a password for your installation then click install and thats it.

Once Ubuntu is fully installed upon starting your PC you will be given a choice of which operating system you want to use Windows or Ubuntu

Ubuntu 9.10 Download
http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) User Guide
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Karmic


LUg.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment