Friday, February 22, 2013

How do I run multiple IP address on my linux server?

Q. I just picked up a Dual Xeon server I plan on running linux and cpanel on. I want to run 5 separate IP address which is what my cable modem supports. How do I run 5 IPs on one network card? How do I make them appear on WHM and Cpanel?

A. Linux is great for that, you just add the IP's to the Nic setup!
Don't know what version of linux you have but usually you can run the network scripts to add the IP's. (As long as they are all in the same class range / subnet you are golden.)
Here is a good article with step by step.
http://linux-journal.blogspot.com/2005/04/linux-multiple-ips-single-computer.html

I don't run Cpanel anymore (tried it once) but you should be able to do it from there as well.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/08/06/how-to-add-ip-addresses-to-server-with-cpanel-webhost-manager-whm/

All these do is tell the card to accept traffic for the IP's you enter. All the rest is handled by apache, ftp etc.

My high school sister wants to major in business and wants to learn how to "do" Linux?
Q. I assume she's talking about Linux and Unix in servers, and not the user friendly distros like PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu, right? She's passionate and determined to learn. Where's a good place to get her started?

A. I would suggest learning how to program in C(Unix's language) because she is so determined and understanding C really helps understanding Unix. Then learn how to do some shell scripting and such.

The best thing for this would be to use the gentoo(http://www.gentoo.org) distro. You need a fast computer for this though because you're making all you're software from pure sources. If you have an okay computer(<1GHz CPU and <1GB of Ram) then it might be a little slow to install things. For this I recommend debian(http://www.debian.org/). Both have excellent documentation.

Also subscribing to a linux magazine is a good idea too. They are a bit expensive so if you can't afford it, I would suggest reading it at your local Barnes and Nobles or other bookstore.

The popular ones are Linux Journal(http://www.linuxjournal.com/) and Linux Format(http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/).

I learned UNIX and linux in like elementary school and I did this by basically trying to program new things. I think trial and error is the absolute best way.

here is a good tutorial: http://freeengineer.org/learnUNIXin10minutes.html

I hope you're successful and if you have ANY questions email me at iammisc@gmail.com.

Which linux distribution best meets my needs?
Q. I know ubuntu is one of the most popular, but I've heard it comes with a full suite of programs already installed. All I really need is a functioning text editor and a web browser.. Also I'm a programmer by trade and have used a little linux, so I wouldn't necessarily need a distribution that is similar to windows. Any suggestions?

A. The two distros that give you the smoothest transition are Fedora and Ubuntu/Kbuntu. SUSE and Mandriva also do a good job of making a user friendly distro.

I STRONGLY suggest using KDE. The software is much more consistant with the UI thus a much lower learning curve. Most KDE programs will be instantly usable to a windows user.

As for text editors Linux supports a wide variety. Personally I prefer for most efforts kedit or Kate. They come default with KDE. Nedit is another good one but try a dozen or so and see which works best with you. There are still many that swear by old school stuff.

As for an IDE there are several excellent IDEs and many of the text editors also have syntax support for commonly used langauages. First thing to do after patching is install a package intall GUI. Fedora and other RPM based distros you want something like Kyum or Gnome Yum. You'll be like a kid in a candy store installing packages LOL. With Ubuntu you'll want synaptic. Same principle, just not as user friendly as the Yum GUIs.

As a developer your going to love Linux. Even the shell itself is aprogramable. In Linux journal a guy writes things like games in the Bash shell LOL.

Your welcome to email me with questions and such.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment